S.S. Croydon



The Queensland Steam Shipping Company bought the 357-ton S.S. Gunga — an iron screw steamer built in Glasgow in 1878 by Wingate & Co. — from J. A. Shepherd in 1881.

Ownership transferred to the Australian United Steam Navigation Company when the Q.S.S.C. merged with the Australasian Steam Navigation Company in 1887. Since the new company had two Gungas in its fleet, the newer, much smaller vessel was renamed the Croydon.

In 1890, the Croydon was chartered to American marine biologist Alexander Agassiz for use as a floating laboratory on an expedition that took Agassiz to the Whitsunday Islands and the Great Barrier Reef.

In 1898, the Croydon was sold to W. Collin & Sons of Brisbane and renamed Lady Lamington. Two years later she was sold again, this time to Henry Carr, for use as a sanitary lighter. Carr renamed her the Moreton. The vessel was stripped in 1934, and the hulk was abandoned on Bishop's Island in the Brisbane River.

RapidWeaver Icon

Made in RapidWeaver